We listed ten things you can do to be a good septic system owner. It’s important to take care of your system with regular pumps and inspections to prevent disruptions in your system, environmental hazards, and costly repairs down the road.
- Have your system inspected every three years by a qualified professional, like us!
- Have your septic tank pumped every 3-6 years depending on the type of system and how many people live in the home.
- Avoid pouring harsh products, such as oils, grease, chemicals, and paint down the drain.
- Discard non-degradable products in the trash, such floss, disposable wipes, hair, or cat litter instead of flushing them the toilet.
- Keep cars and heavy vehicles parked away from the drain field and tank.
- Follow the systems manufacturer’s directions when using septic tank cleaners and additives.
- Repair leaks and use water efficient fixtures to avoid overloading the system.
- Maintain plant and vegetation near the system to ensure roots do not block drains.
- Use soaps and detergents that are low-suds, biodegradable, and low- or phosphate-free.
- Prevent a system overload from larger gatherings by getting it pumped before the event.
Call us at 512-258-4000 with any questions you may have regarding your system or to schedule your next maintenance pump out. Thank you!